Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Apple Crisp Recipe

This past weekend we had a family birthday party so I decided to make a gluten-free, dairy-free dessert to bring.

I found an awesome Apple Crisp recipe online from minimalistbaker.com wesbite (posted link at the bottom of this post) and decided to tweak it a little bit for my personal use.

Here's the recipe and pictures:

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Apple Crisp:  
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease larger baking dish

Base: 
8 small-medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I did not peel my apples-personal preference)
cap of lemon juice
1/3 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt

In large bowl, combine the apples with the other ingredients to coat, then pour in baking dish and set aside.

Topping: 
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour mix or brown rice flour (I used brown rice flour)
1/2 cup gluten free oats
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1/3 cup non-dairy butter melted (I used Earth Balance spread)

Combine first 5 ingredients into bowl and mix together. Melt butter and add to dry mix until it looks crumbly.
Sprinkle topping over the apples in baking dish and cook 45-60 minutes until apples are soft and golden brown.
Serve warm.  



Coated and placed into baking dish. 

I buy my Gluten Free mixes from Kroger and Big Lots. 

Love this spread!


Ready to bake!! 
I baked it for 45 mins let it sit for awhile until after dinner. 

It smelled SO GOOD!! It was eaten pretty fast too with no complaints. 

Of course putting vanilla ice cream on top doesn't make it dairy free any more. ;-) 

I will definitely be using this Apple Crisp recipe again.
However, I felt like it was too sweet so I'm going to cut back or eliminate all together the white sugar for the apple coating and see how it turns out. I'll post here after I try that and let you know how it turns out.  

Here's the original recipe that I used and changed a little: 

1 comment:

  1. I bet when this was baking, your house smelled like the Witch's house in the story Hanzel and Gretel! HA AH!

    ReplyDelete