Friday, June 6, 2014

We made a gluten free, dairy free cake and frosting for my birthday!! Recipe and pictures.

This past sunday was my birthday dinner so my hubby decided to make a special cake and frosting per my request. We got a gluten free, dairy free vanilla cake mix from big lots and then I found a recipe online for homemade frosting that was dairy free.

Here's the frosting recipe we used: http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/sweetsaucesfrostings/r/whitefrosting.htm

I honestly didn't have high hopes of the cake being edible. or the frosting for that matter. But it was exciting to try a new desert that I could eat without feeling terrible afterwards and something for me to blog about! ;-)

I was REALLY pleased with how it turned out. It kinda tasted like a vanilla corn bread mix. We added fresh strawberries and its natural juice over the top of it and YUM!! 






Have you ever made anything gluten free or dairy free? What did you think of it? 

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday! The cake looks delicious! I've made lots of dairy free things, and some also gluten free and I really like/liked most everything... you have some flops and some home runs, and then a lot in that middle okay area. :)

    ~Kelly
    www.leafynotbeefy.com

    ReplyDelete